…if you’re interested in the subject of Episode 4’s opening. One is in favour, the other is not.
In Episode 4 of BA Cast Fernando ruminates on Nestor Kirchner, his death, and his meaning to Argentina… and then we get back to our show… but seriously this time.
Guest Yanqui Mike talks about Unionism, the destruction of the left, and even how its impossible to fire people in Argentina. Dan and Fer talk about “cool”vs. “cul” on the Spanglish playground. Aeroparque closes for a full month? Why!?! Inflation is evident in the taxi fares which have gone up over 65% in the last 10 months…. and in the greatest news of all time… Maria Carra gives us the top 5 Dulce de Leche ice cream brands *EVER*!
- The Night of Record Stores (La Noche de las Disquerías): mainly along Corrientes avenue (Musimundo, Zivals, and other stores), and with a circuit in Palermo as well. Concerts and discounts. THURSDAY OCTOBER 28
- The Week of Notable Cafés (La Semana de los Cafés Notables), finishing on the 26th. Shows, tours and happy hour of cafecitos between 17 and 22 (pay 2 get 4!) Check out the list at: http://www.buenosaires.gov.ar/areas/turismo/actividades/index.php?nombre=&idbarrio=0&info=bares&menu_id=74&buscar=1&bot_buscar.x=32&bot_buscar.y=5
Recommended: “Los Galgos”, at Lavalle and Callao (Old-School) and “Petit Colón”, facing the Supreme Court Building (for something fancier).
- Fuerza Bruta’s final month in BA, at the Centro Cultural Recoleta. No questions asked, JUST GO!
Listen to Episode #3: The Buenos Aires Podcast
With Dan in Portland and Fernando in BA, observations had to be made upon US culture shock when going through the DFW airport. Also, what is a genuine steak sandwich? What do Maria Carra of Buenos Aires Foodies and Larry “El Tejano”Rogers think of them.
Wanna know the real use(s) of the word Boludo? We’re on it.
Taxi vs. motorcyle on an epic scale: we have the first hand account.
Argentine National Census: YES! Podemos contar con eso!
Cryptic Halloween… What will the Argentine’s think?
- Tango: Quinteto Real celebrates 50 years, with three concerts at el Tasso in San Telmo, on Friday the 15th, 22th and 29th . Founder Horacio Salgán is coming out of retirement at the age of 94, to be there alongside maestro Leopoldo Federico. 120 pesos.
- Scottish Dances at the English High School of Buenos Aires, on Saturday, October 23, 9PM. 30 pesos. Reservations: 4312-7244 o 15-5340-9920
- Klezfiesta 2010. Argentina Klezmer Music Festival kicks off on October 18 (not October 11 as Fer said on the show!) www.klezfiesta.com.ar
- Improvisation Theatre: Global Impro brings you its Swing! Show: 3 actors on stage, each is given a word by the public, that will define the character and the story they will create on the spot. Thursday, October 21, 9:30 PM, at the Bauen Hotel, on Callao 360, 20 pesos. www.globalimpro.com
In Episode 2, Dirty Harry talks about Argentine steak, Dan and Fer sing some English songs in Spanish, talk with Deby Novitz, a long time BA expat who teaches and dances tango about her experience with men, and debate over whether Argentina is becoming a dictatorship ensues.
Looking for stuff to do this week. Well, here at the BA Cast we pride ourselves in helping our listners find the coolest and most interesting things in BA. Here are some awesome events coming up.
- Rage Against the Machine and Queens of the Stone Age. 260 pesos, on the Costanera Sur, next to Puerto Madero. WED, OCTOBER 13
- World Guitars (Guitarras del Mundo) Festival Begins: Guitarists from all over the world, performing in different venues across the country, for free. For instance artists from Italy and Argentina, at the National Radio Auditorium, on Maipú 555 (Great chance to visit that amazing building). SAT, OCTOBER 9 6PM.
- Walking Tour (In Spanish) by Eternautas Viajes Históricos: Alvear Avenue, the Beaux-Arts buildings of yesteryear’s elites. SAT, OCTOBER 9, 3 PM, Iit beggins at Alvear and Libertad, Carlos Pellegrini’s Monument, in front of the Brazilian embassy. 15 pesos.
- Stand-Up comedy course: By Australian-Spanish comedian Simón Palomares, at the Centro Cultural Caras y Caretas Venezuela 370 (San Telmo) 4381-2898. SAT, OCTOBER 9, 2010
- Soccer game of the week: Independiente-Racing, the second biggest derby in the country, after Boca-River. Check out: http://www.caindependiente.com/. MON, OCTOBER 11, 3 PM (Holiday) NOTE:for the third time, both clubs and the FA, have changed the day and time of the game: now it’s Sunday at 10 PM.
- For Children: celebrating its 20th anniversary, the “Forbidden not to touch” Science Fair, with interactive activities for kids and adults as well. 15 pesos. Recoleta Cultural Center, next to the Cemetery. WEEKENDS AFTERNOONS AND WEEKDAYS ALL DAY.
- Old School Eating: Café Gijón. Corner of Chile and San José. No English-spoken, no reservations taken, no separation between Kitchen and Hall, impossible to get a table for more than 6 people…BUT the Rabas (Squid), The Chicken Schnitzel, and the Bife are great…with wine, maybe 50-60 pesos per person
Well, its finally time for our first show! BA Cast, Show 1, October 7, 2010
The BA Cast team is happy to bring you a taste of what’s to come. Look for our first full-length podcast next week!